Alpha Q b cos (UR/18) n sec C2

Sunday, November 13, 2005

Looks good in black and white

Hi there. Had a good weekend? I 'm glad u had... Just came back from a very hectic weekend in Malaysia. Sisters wedding. Am chauffeur for the wedding couple. Just too tired to do anything else now. Even Maggie2's been lying there untouched for the week because I just had so much to do.

The wedding - first I went back in time on Friday for our little family party at home. Can see mum's been overworked preparing the events and what was to come. THen for the first time I met my brother in law. Saw so many cousins whom I would not usually meet until someone gets married. After everyone left, we still had lots to clean up, some more preparation for my sister's big day. Fell asleep watching my favourite animals mawing each other on Discovery. At 4 am got woken by the mossies that bit the shit outta me hands and legs. SO went back to the room to sleep.

Yesterday I drove all day... picking the couple up from their hotel, which thankfully was well chosen to be the one near our home... Brought them back for the Chinese Tea Ceremony, and a Happy Family picture. Uncle Kee from Melbourne who was on his way to INdia, transitted for a few hours in time to attend this and later the church ceremony. Then at nigth the banquet. Was given the task of presenting the speech in English, while my brother did in Mandarin. U know in every of this weddings, there would be some individuals who shouted the "YUM SENG" loudest? Yep... this time it was me. Coz everyone else...my bro, sis have already done their parts in organising the wedding. I went around pouring the cognacs and spoke to pple I have not met for ages... ages... So, if you ask me... the dinner was more like a trip to eat while you have to work, so much so that the food couldn't settle in your stomach. I'm sure you know what I mean.. yes that feeling!

Midday yesterday... the most relaxing I felt was when after the church reception and we had a coupla hours of R&R before night madness came. I spent about half an hour at the hotel's (where the couple stayed) cafe sipping latte and a slice of Etoile (Moussy chocolaty cake - tat's my best translation for it!). Pretended to look cool by reading newspapers but inside was cursing like hell coz it was a real hot day despite the aircond. My attempts earlier to get pple to join me were not successful. Everyone was too tired.

Today I woke up with a sore throat. Gee... I wonder why. Was forced to get up because my sis wanted to treat us to a meal of Bak Kut Teh before my brother drives back to Penang, and later me back to Singapore. It must have been 10 years since all my sisters, and brother and me sat on the same table. My folks must have been contented. And tis is one of the reasons I am back here... What would life be worth if you can't even do this? At least in modern life context, once in a coupla years.

After breakfast, I k.o. to sleep again before it was too soon to take the bus again. Sigh, what a tiring weekend. I remembered at the church, I almost cried. The feeling bordered between feeling happy for my sister and realisation of the fact that we were not that that 13-year old and 10 year old always arguing kids. I guess we can't be the kids in the family anymore and have to make way for the next generation. Reluctant to accept it, but thats how life goes! I remember us moving from the old house to the new. The annual spring cleaning, the mooncake festivals, the ching ming, the dumpling festival and the CNY.. We used to be so excited about it. The gambling, the lanterns, the fireworks and the food. But most of it was the togetherness.

So - life at this point for me looks like the grey area between the young and the old. Carry a bag of memories, a palate of paint and brush, and paint off the coloured age of innocence... with black and white.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home